|Military heroes, who are to attend a conference on role models in the army on Wednesday, August 1, visited Tian'anmen, otherwise known as the Gate of Heavenly Peace, in the centre of Beijing.
421 formal representatives and 81 specially-invited delegates have been selected to participate in an army hero and role model conference.
Of the formal representatives, nearly 30 percent participated in the War to Resist US Aggression and Aid Korea between 1950 and 1953. Of the remaining 70 percent, they emerged during the new age of socialist revolution and construction as well as during China's reform and opening up period.
China has already held two army hero and role model conferences, back in 1950 and 1987 respectively.
Editor: canton my